Neighbour Hood Support

Enduring Power of Attorney

An older person can save their family time and money by signing an enduring power of attorney while they have the capacity to do so. This document identifies who is authorised to take control of a person's property and manage their affairs should they no longer be in a position to do so.

If a person loses the capacity to appoint an attorney, their family may have to go through expensive Court proceedings to determine who should be appointed to manage their property and personal welfare.

Every adult, regardless of age, should have a Will and an enduring power of attorney. Death and incapacitation can happen at any age.

Anyone contemplating signing an enduring power of attorney, or setting up a trust, should discuss this with their lawyer.

They can also get advice from Community Law Centres or from the Public Trust.

Your local Age Concern can also provide information on enduring power of attorney. Age Concern New Zealand has published a pamphlet called "Do you have an Enduring Power of Attorney? Planning for Your Future". 


Copyright Neighbourhood Support Canterbury © | Site Map | Web design New Zealand by Wolters Kluwer