Neighbour Hood Support

Recognising when a child or family needs help

Worried about a child or family, but don’t know what to do?


“How can I tell? Recognising when a child or family needs help” is a booklet which provides information on how to recognise situations where children may be living with violence or abuse.


“How Can I Tell?” offers the opportunity to become informed about what to look for and how to help reduce the risk of harm to children.

The booklet is published by CPS (Institute for Child Protection Studies) and has the backing of the Chief Youth Court Judge, Andrew Becroft. You can download it here (1135 kB pdf).


The booklet has been printed, thanks to the generosity of Hamilton companies New Zealand Home Loans and Verdict Communications.

Booklets are provided free of charge to people and organisations that are involved with children, however the cost of delivery has not been sponsored. Orders should include a stamped, self addressed A4 envelope or a donation to cover postage or courier fees.

Send orders to:
HCIT, PO Box 679, Hamilton.

Your name, Organisation and Branch, Postal Address, Phone Number and the number of copies you are requesting.

For further information, contact CPS
Ph 07-838-3370


 Download this fact sheet as a PDF (383 kB)


Copyright Neighbourhood Support Canterbury © | Site Map | Web design New Zealand by Wolters Kluwer